Friday, July 26, 2013

DIY Modge Podge Wood Letters


This project came about via a friend/coworker. Discussing crafts at work, I discovered an amazing little shop based out of Utah (My coworkers hometown) called The Wood Connection. This shop is a modge podge, crafters DREAM! Or my crafting dream, whichever :-). I've never been IN the store but have heard about it! Wall to wall craft projects made out of... You guessed it... WOOD! I have not found anything that compares in the local shops such as Hobby Lobby and Michaels. They have quality products, free standing wooden letters great for any artsy fartsy person such as myself :-) and are very reasonably priced!!
At first, I was placing orders thru my coworker to bring back from her visits. Now, they have a website with ready to ship items! LOVE IT!! Their website is www.thewoodconnection.com
Visit the website and fall in love!! 

I bought the wooden "HOME" letters for $9.95 and decided to create something for my entryway that tied into my living room contemporary art I am having a hard time matching.


I chose the colorbök brand scrapbook paper to help tie in my paintings. There are 50 pages of assorted designs for $9.95. You don't need the entire book for this project but I also scrapbook so it was a good price.


I use the glossier Modge Podge and chose Harvest Orange Acrylic Paint for the wood. 
Once you choose your color, theme and wood to decorate all you need is time and a paint brush!

Materials Needed:
Wooden letters of choice 
Modge Podge
Acrylic Paint
Paint brush
Scrapbook paper
Embellishments of choice (optional)
Hot glue gun and glue
Pencil
Scissors

•To get started, choose a page or two of scrapbook paper per letter. (Each of my letters have two paper designs per letter)
•Turn paper over, white or back side up. Lay wooden letter BACKWARDS or face down on paper and trace with pencil.
•Cut out paper letters with scissors
•Next, paint each letter with acrylic paint of choice and allow to dry.
NOW IT'S TIME TO BE CREATIVE!
Lay out each letter design and cut scrapbook paper to fit before glueing. As you can see on my letters there are two designs cut to fit together on each letter
•Apply Modge Podge to your first letter and place scrapbook paper. Press firmly to prevent air bubbles. Allow to dry and on to the next letter!
•After adding scrapbook paper apply another coat of Modge Podge to the front of paper and letter to seal in your perfection ;-) allow to dry
•Place embellishments of choice to letters using hot glue and voilá! You have another project completed to make your house a HOME!

Like my fan page!

Any questions?! Don't hesitate to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment