Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Fun DIY Playroom Decor

One of my most fond memories growing up was crafting with my family. I say family because I didn't get my "craftiness" from a single person. Every one contributed, my mom, my grandparents and even my dad.. Just to name a few! 
Growing up my parents owned a small Christian gifts and books store where they also sold their own handmade items. My dad made our furniture around the house and my mom would add her personal touches. I remember being my daughters age (8) and staying over at my great grandmothers house to stay up late making different projects and holiday decorations. Everyone around me was creative so it's no surprise I love to craft! 
Now that I have my own family, I love coming up with new projects around the house and involving my little ones in turning this house into OUR home. 
The area of focus last week while my step mom, Sonya, was in town was decorating our playroom, hence the title :-) 
This project was my favorite so far: Turning kids games, that the kids have lost pieces to over the years into art!


Materials needed:
Game boards
Game pieces (what's left anyways!)
Hot glue gun and hot glue
1"x2" scrap wood for mounting ( I used scrap pieces from previous projects, they won't be seen anyways.)
Wood screws
Small finishing nails 
The rest is really up to you! 

I positioned the game pieces with hot glue to give a 3D appearance when hung on the wall. 
Playing cards and Monopoly money are glued together in a stack to also appear 3D


Once the game board was complete, I mounted the scrap wood to the wall with wood screws. Since they are scraps I chose each piece based on the size of the board, no specifications really just small enough to not be seen and long enough to support the fold in the game board.
I then placed the game board to the scrap wood mounted on the wall with tiny finishing nails.


I completed the project with painted 1"x6" wooden signs with fun sayings (also scraps)



The kids LOVE the new decorations and this project added so much fun and color to the room! 
If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!
I hope you enjoy this project as much as we did!

Like my fan page!



No comments:

Post a Comment